Children may take examinations from the age of 5 years old but if a student does not wish to enter an exam, she/he will be taught in the same dedicated manner and will move into the next class with the children who have gone through the examination process.
FREESTYLE/STREET JAZZAge 5-14. Non-syllabus free-work Street Jazz classes. Using appropriate current music. At present we hold 4 freestyle classes a week with ages ranging from 5 – 14. These classes are “freer” than the Modern Dance classes. The students still warm up, limber and stretch their bodies but learn dances to today's, up to the minute music. We do not enter children for examinations. The children who attend these classes also perform in the local community – at the Oxshott May Day festivities at the sports club, in Christmas Fairs and the Leatherhead Theatre.
SENIOR CONTEMPORARY DANCEPerfect for those planning to take GCSE/A Level Drama. Contemporary dance is very popular at vocational level. It incorporates elements from several dance styles and is particularly expressive. Contemporary is perfect for those planning to take GCSE/A Level Dance, and for those who love to experience a sense of real freedom of movement. There are many different philosophies in contemporary dance. Centre Stage teaches the most rewarding:
- Ballet technique, with no strictness on body lines and with a greater range of movement.
- Use of body weight represented by fall and recovery; suspension and succession.
- Breathing and impulse control, represented by contraction and release.
- Ability to change direction dramatically within the body and in space.
- Strength and flexibility of both mind and body, with strong, controlled leg work.
- Using the floor in innovative and inspiring ways.
- Correct ways to be lifted, including contact work and trust exercises.