Contemporary dance is very popular at vocational level. It incorporates elements from several dance styles and is particularly expressive. Contemporary is perfect for those planning to take GCSE/A Level Dance, and for those who love to experience a sense of real freedom of movement.
There are many different philosophies in contemporary dance. Centre Stage teaches the most rewarding:
- Ballet technique, with no strictness on body lines and with a greater range of movement.
- Use of body weight represented by fall and recovery; suspension and succession.
- Breathing and impulse control, represented by contraction and release.
- Ability to change direction dramatically within the body and in space.
- Strength and flexibility of both mind and body, with strong, controlled leg work.
- Using the floor in innovative and inspiring ways.
- Correct ways to be lifted, including contact work and trust exercises.